Friday, January 4, 2008

What Dreams About Eyes Mean

Eyes are one of the most important distinguishing characteristics of any person, so it is no surprise that eyes often play such a prominent role in our dream lives as well.

One of the most intriguing dreams about eyes is the one in which the dreamer sees his or her own eyes in the dream. Seeing your own eyes in a dream, in a mirror for instance, or even symbolically, is often a representation of knowledge, enlightenment, intellectual awareness, understanding or sudden comprehension.

Dreaming about one’s own eyes can often mean that unconscious or repressed thoughts and images are breaking through to the surface. The eyes are often seen as the window to the soul, so dreams about eyes can often be seen as meaning that hidden desires of the soul are coming through to the surface.

Dreaming of only one eye, or seeing only one eye in a dream, is very significant. The left eye is often seen as a symbol of the moon, while the right eye is seen instead as a symbol of the sun.

Some people have reported dreams in which their eyes turned around in their heads. This kind of dream can symbolize insight and spiritual awareness. Dreaming about inwardly turned eyes can indicate a desire on the part of the dreamer to examine themselves and their psyche.

These kinds of dreams often accompany psychological turning points in the life of the dreamer. This type of dream about eyes can also mean that your subconscious is trying to warn you to be aware of something, or that you need to look within yourself for answers. This kind of dream can be a warning to the dreamer to trust his or her instincts and intuitions.

On the other hand, dreaming that you have something in your eye can mean that there are obstacles in your path. Dreams in which the dreamer has something in his or her eye can be the subconscious way of telling the dreamer that they need to overcome the barriers in their path. These kinds of dreams can also be representations of the dreamer’s tendency to take a critical view of the actions of others.

Dreams in which the dreamer has only one eye can symbolize the dreamer’s refusal to accept or see other points of view. It can mean that the dreamer suffers from a jaded and stubborn way of thinking.

Dreaming that you have a third eye can mean that you should pay attention to your insight and inner vision. Dreams about a third eye are often warnings for the dreamer to look within themselves.

Dreams of injured or closed eyes can symbolize a refusal to confront the truth about something you have been hiding from. This kind of dream is often about avoiding intimacy, or avoiding looking at something you should. Dreams about closed or injured eyes can also be expressions of pain or hurt feelings.

Dreaming about crossed eyes can mean that you are not seeing things properly. Dreams about crossed eyes can indicate that you may be getting mixed up.

24 comments:

Akashic Cosmic Creations said...

My four year old has mentioned to me a couple of times that he dreams of an eye, just one eye on the ceiling of his room.

berry81 said...

My three year old is having nightmares about eyes that float up. She says the eyes are like the eyes in snow white when she is running through the woods. But i asked her if they were. This is really freaking her out she is recusing to go to sleep and is not sleping well. Any ideas?

Lindsay Prince said...

I had a dream where I was looking at myself in the mirror and improved my eyes were red. I pulled down my bottom lid and saw a blackish moving blister on my left eye. I pushed slightly on it and it popped. it went all over my chest. I looked at my lower eye lid again and saw a black leech. any thoughts?

aspenway said...

I had a dream that I small snake was coming out of my pupil from the back of my eye. (all in my right eye) I could see it's tail under my eye lid. When I freaked out about it no one else saw anything but snake designed eye liner

Tam said...

I had a dream of a guy with one eye. It really freaked me out. What does that mean?!

Mike Gerge said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mecca Hamilton said...

i recently had a dream that my left eye was dilated to the point where there was no white in that eye. My right eye was normal. Then all of a sudden my left eye seemed to be strongly focused on a strange figure. can anyone tell me what that means?

Josh Givvenan said...

Sleep next to her so her dreams won't intrude

Josh Givvenan said...

In my dream apparently went to the movies. I think there was this ghost I think trying to scare me or talk to me not sure but all sudden I looked up at the wall the ghost was there but small and then I was zoomed in and it was a blur white then a strange aura and then the eye appeared with unique designs . Then I woke up. To be honest it felt like my third eye opened . Can't explain to well, there was no fear in my dream. Ifeel free to throw in an idea I'm not to concerned to figure out.

Josh Givvenan said...

U either seek companion ship or something else which eye.

Josh Givvenan said...

He is closely watched from another. Determine colors and looks to see if the watcher is good or bad

Amber Wuchter said...

My husband had a dream that he got a letter from the doctor and his diagnosis was an eye with fire which meant he only had 2yrs to live. I thought maybe it was his fear of dying and leaving us alone.

Boxermama said...

I have had two dreams in the last couple of weeks where my dog's eye is injured. One time it was smashed and the other time I accidentally poked it. My husband and I have no kids and he is our fur child so he means the world to me. Why would I have these dreams and so close together?

Tameka Grant said...

In my dream my 7yr old son is missing his left eye.

Renee Sheridan said...

I just dreamt that I was a detective working on a missing person's case. I was interviewing a Chinese man at a family run restaurant, and was able to get all of the details my boss had asked for. Then, as I was about to leave, I realized I'd forgot to ask for their phone number. I guess this was in a time before google. Anyway, as I asked her, she began to roll dice as if to play a game with me and had me write a couple of numbers down at a time. So, I interrupted her, and told her I didn't have time to play a game- "Does this place not have a phone number?" I asked. Then, with the help of a few others I was lowered into what looked like a living room below the restaurant. I was lowered into the room with thick blankets tied around my lower body. I struggled for a long time to try to free my legs, but felt paralyzed. My arms were heavy and weak. Also, I couldn't call for help without extreme mental effort, and when I did no one could hear me. As I lay there, the most terrifying aspect, besides immobility, was a painting of a demonic face with lips twisted so the teeth were showing and the eyes would move from looking at me o looking over to the side as if to look at what would be my attacker.

tony lara said...

I had a dream I was wearing eye contacts and the right one fell so I decided to take them both off and put them in a container.

maria quiggle said...

I dreamt I was pulling a very long hair from my right eye. Any thoughts??

Rosa Fullmore said...

I dreamed that I was looking in the mirror at myself, I leaned closer, I noticed my pupil had a Red C in them .

Ian MacDonald said...

I had a dream,, that the white of my eye was progressively tearing downward. My right eye. Everytime I checked it, it had torn just a little more. "nobody will notice" is what I continued to assure myself. "it's not that bad" 3 times I checked it, and it worsened every time. Thoughts?

TeenageDreamer said...

I don't know if my dream was under an "injured eye" or not but I had a dream that i was picking my eyes and my eye came out and I was looking at it. When I looked in the mirror at it I saw a hole (obviously). What does this mean exactly?

Drethrake said...

I know I'm late to the party. But I want to share a dream I had a few weeks ago that is really bothering me.

So I was in some store somewhere right? Just some random place I don't know where I was, okay? And I took my glasses off. And placed my hand over my right eye.... and I PULLED IT OUT OF ITS SOCKET! Holy hell it felt weird.

Blood fountained from it. Poured down my face, all over my hands. Dripping on the floor. I just said nonchalantly "Looks like I need an eyepatch."


But the blood bled through the eyepatch, it constantly bled, it wouldn't stop, no matter what I held over it to keep the blood from pouring out.

I woke up in a fright, holding my hand over my eye to make sure it was still there. I breathed an epic sigh of relief. And said "The hell did I eat/drink last night?"

It still bothers me.

Nina Arce said...

What about when you are looking at your own eye and your lower lid has a blister?

Kyla Bell said...

So I keep having this reoccurring dream where I am standing in front of a mirror in my PJs & I'm starring in my eyes. Suddenly the whites of my eyes turn light red. Then the brown in my iris changes to a crimson red. Then my pupils turn dark red. I feel panicky & try to close my eyes hoping they'll change back to normal but when I open them they are still shades of red.
Anyone know what this means????

Ashleya King said...

You seem to know a lot about dreams, so I will tell you. For about a year, I've been having dreams of my eyes. Sometimes I lose both of my eyes, a reaccuring one is where my eye hurts really bad, and It's blurry in vision and just painful, so I pull it out (the right one). There seem to be dreams that follow it, like they're all realated somehow. I'd had other dreams after that where I was seeing myself from a first person view, infront of a mirror. The eye which I had lost is no longer in the sink where I had thrown it, and the lid where it used to be is shut, and I am no longer able to open it, or perhaps I fear opening it, I'm not sure. And this goes on for a few nights, just me sitting there with a blank expression on my fave as I pull on a colorful eyepatch that looked like it was designed by the Japanese. But the dream I had last night caused me to wake up in a pool of my own sweat. I went upstairs to get ready to go to bed, and it was like I was not controlling myself for the first few minutes. I did not use the cliser bathroom in my room, instead I ran down the hallway which, alarmingly, seemed to go on longer than usual. I got to the bathroom and stared atmyself in th mirror, starting to pick up the colorful eyepatch. Then I stare a little longer, something telling me to not open my right eye, that something terrible and hideous is on the other side. finally, I have control of myself once again and I force the other eye open and see that there was still an eye there, but it was dead looking, out of place. The eyewhites were bloodshot and the pupil was black. (When I said the eye looked dead, try to imagine a lazy eye) the dream ended when I closed my eye and put my eyepatch on.

These dreams are not particularly scary, they make me feel angry and sad at the same time. Do you have any idea to what this might mean for me? I'd greatly appreciate your feedback.